How you help Fund Our Travels
Without costing YOU a cent!
We’re so glad you’ve taken an interest in this page. We hope you are enjoying the content we’ve produced, but as you might imagine, pulling it all together takes considerable effort.
Mostly, it’s a labor of love…BUT…there obviously needs to be some return on our investment to ensure we can keep it going.
So how do you help without it costing you valuable time or money?
Well, it’s actually quite easy.
Throughout the content, you will spy a few things:
Firstly, you will spot links to companies and products related to the content you are reading. Often, but not always, these links go to another website where you can purchase the product we recommended. The companies we refer you to are our affiliate partners, and if you buy something, we receive a small percentage of the sale.
So, for example, if we talk about the excellent experience we’ve had with the WayAway flight and accommodation booking platform, we will add a link in the text to a relevant page on their website as we’ve done with their name. If you click on the link, like what you see, and decide to buy something from them, we will get a small percentage of the total amount.
The best thing is…
YOU DON’T PAY ANY MORE THAN YOU WOULD IF YOU WENT DIRECTLY TO THEIR SITE.
The commission we receive is part of the company’s marketing budget, and you would pay it anyway, no matter how you made the purchase.
Even better, we sometimes get special partner coupons for discounts and bonuses that we can pass on to you. The WayAway Link is one such beast, as you get 50% off your premium membership. So it’s likely we’ll actually save you money. WIN-WIN right?
Secondly, you may spot a few display advertisements for the same products or companies, and if you click on those ads, you will get directed to their website. The same deal applies. If you buy something, we get a cut!
Thirdly, you might see advertisements related to something you are interested in at the moment. These ads are served to you by Google, and they are based on your recent web activity. We have minimal control over these ads except to filter out porn, cigarettes, gambling, and other less family-friendly activities. But from experience, they are relevant the majority of the time.
Google ads work differently from those of our affiliate partners. Some work on views, and some work on clicks. So even if you only see some ads and don’t click, we earn upwards of 1 cent! Woot! Clicks and having a good look at the resulting website usually reward us with quite a bit more, but it’s still only a few dollars at the most. I know, right? That’s not about to make us millionaires, but you’d be surprised how quickly it can add up. And even if it buys us a couple of beers at the end of a hard day’s adventuring, that’s still a bonus!
And finally, we have a shop containing some of our own products. There are various travel-themed products we’ve created on Zazzle. But eventually, there’ll be more books, guides, training courses, and products for you to buy. But that’s a work in progress!!
So,..How Can You Consciously Help to Fund Our Travels?
Well, there are a few ways:
- If (and only if) you are interested in some of the products and resources we link to from our site, please feel free to use our links to access them. As we said, purchasing that way won’t cost you any more, and every little bit helps us stay on the road.
- Bookmark our Travel Resources page for when you’re planning your next trip, then use our planning process (and the associated links) to plan your trip and make your bookings and purchases.
- Sign up for our newsletter, and we’ll be sure to send you any special deals, discounts, and coupons sent to us by our partners. (It’s monthly unless there’s something super-special happening, so we won’t be spamming your inbox with information just for the sake of it.)
OUR PROMISE TO YOU
First, we only recommend products or companies we trust and believe in. Either:
- We have personally used them ourselves,
- Our family, close friends, or fellow travel buddies have used them and had a great experience, OR
- We’ve researched them thoroughly. If we haven’t got a clue about a topic, we’ll say so. For example, If you look at the SIM card resources under “Staying Connected,” we openly admit we’ve never bought or used one of the SIMs mentioned, so do your due diligence before purchasing.
We also don’t accept freebies in return for good reviews or recommendations. To be honest, it’s way too much work to repay comps, and it feels a bit icky, even if the place or product is perfect.
If, after doing our planning and research, we wouldn’t or couldn’t (because of our budget) choose the accommodation, product, or activity on offer, then we aren’t about to do so because it’s free or heavily discounted and then spend hours writing blog posts and doing social media posts about it.
Mind you; we are masters at seeking out great value. But that’s nothing you couldn’t do, too, and we’re happy to point you in the right direction.
So there you go. That’s how this website makes us money without costing our readers like you a cent. Thank you for that assistance, even if all you do is put up with a few advertisements throughout the site.
Tim and Sharyn
- We promise to put the funds to good use – like enjoying a cold refreshing beverage after a hard day’s adventuring!